Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Entrepreneurship

Blog Post 15: Entrepreneurship

Choose a focus of either your final project topic or your career plan to develop an entrepreneurial assessment of yourself. This should be about a "1-page" activity. Some of these questions may help guide your thoughts: Do you want to be a "businessperson or an entrepreneur?" What traits and/or strengths do you see in your PDP that aligns with your thought? What weaknesses or opportunities for improvement do you notice that you would like to address to become a "businessperson or an entrepreneur?" Is entrepreneurship just about starting a business? Or is it much deeper and holistic than that? As the world quickly changes, which type of folks do you feel will be more on their "toes" and less on their "heels." Who do you think will achieve and live the happinesses that they seek in life?


 
Businessperson or Entrepreneur…

In my career plan I see myself as more of a businessperson versus an entrepreneur.  In my career plan I will be working in a laboratory with others around me as part of a team or as the lead manager. I don’t see myself owning my own laboratory, business or company in my career plan I have made for myself. A businessperson is one who keeps himself or herself busy running a business that is already underway, they are the type of people how take care and pride in their work but do it from the safe side of things. The businessperson has other companies as competition. An Entrepreneur on the other hand is very specialized and skillful in running a corporation. They are a form of businessperson and are often risk-takers. They are the ones to more often start up their own business, open up a new store in the area, or to be the head manager of their company. The entrepreneur is often their own competitor. I personally want to be a businessperson at this point in my career. I don’t see myself opening up my own business and taking many risks; on the other hand I wouldn’t mind being a business manager or in my case possibly running a lab. In my Professional Development Plan I have a goal of going on to graduate school for more schooling. This will help me gain addition knowledge of how the business world will work and how it relates to my career path. Also in my PDP I value family time, job and money security and a business person can have all that. An entrepreneur on the other hand could spend a great deal of their time focused on their business and not much on the other aspects of life that I want. One area I could improve on to help me become a businessperson is my managerial skills. Through my work experience I have learned the basics but I would like to take some classes in business for management to help broaden my skill set and ultimately help me have a successful career. An entrepreneurship isn’t just about starting a business is about being able to take risks and having the ability to see where the business will be at in the future and see the profits that will come from the hard work and effort that was put in on day one of the business. The entrepreneur has to be able to make sacrifices for the better of their career/business or other parts of their life in general.  In the future I see the entrepreneurs to be more on their toes and less on their heels because when they are faced with hardships and challenges in their careers and businesses they will know how to cope with those problems and issues as they arise. On the other hand I feel the businessperson will be more apt to reach the live and happiness they seek in life; the entrepreneur will still be able to do this as well but may require some extra effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment